PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Master Cylinder-New guy-

gary.h
03-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Hay Guys New here,Names Gary, Live in Oregon, I just have to say great site. Love it.:wow::salute:

Got an old 85 350x starting to get it back inot riding status. On the back brakes. Why is it you can't find a rebuild kit for the master cylinder? Any way what's a good easy master cylinder to replace it with? i was told they are all pretty close to the same and was also told a 300ex will bolt right on.

Just wanted to see if any one else had to replace with a alternative and how and what they used.

Thanks In advance.

Gary.
statewideexhaust@gmail.com

DO you know if a 85 200x will fit?

GeoD
03-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi Gary. Welcome to the site.

Take a look at the Master Parts List. There are two links for brand new rear brake assemblies for approx $109. That is the caliper, mounting bracket, and brake pads!!!

If the link doesn't work let me know. You can do a search on eBay for 1985 Honda 350X Rear brake. Its an outfit named EastCoast ATV. They are local to me. I bought one of their rear brakes two years ago and I decided to grab another just in case!!

SCUBA
03-09-2010, 07:55 AM
I hear ya Gary the master cylinder is what you are after......... I am probably more rumer then fact, but I thinck that you an use the rebuild from the front master cylinder to do the rear. If not, I do know that most newer bikes have the same fluid displacement on the rear brakes, and therefor if you can get a newer master from another bike to fit then use it. I got a few bikes around my yard, and I will take a look this evening after work KK

GeoD
03-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Is Gary talking about the brake fluid reservoirs? If so, they are available from Honda for approx $20. Parts are available from Honda too.

SCUBA
03-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Geod, What have you been drinking this morning? The master cylinder is the thingy that creates the presure after the peddle is pushed.

Hay Guys New here,Names Gary, Live in Oregon, I just have to say great site. Love it.:wow::salute:

Got an old 85 350x starting to get it back inot riding status. On the back brakes. Why is it you can't find a rebuild kit for the master cylinder? Any way what's a good easy master cylinder to replace it with? i was told they are all pretty close to the same and was also told a 300ex will bolt right on.

Just wanted to see if any one else had to replace with a alternative and how and what they used.

Thanks In advance.

Gary.
statewideexhaust@gmail.com

DO you know if a 85 200x will fit?

gary.h
03-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Ya talking about the Master Cylinder it's self not the fluid reservoir, i did order the rear brake caliper,(e bay) Just trying to find an alternative to the Master Cylinder, Was looking at my '02 Cr 250 looks like it would bolt right on...

Thanks guys. and again cool Site.

dom
03-09-2010, 07:15 PM
I wonder if the spot that sells the reservoir also sells the master cylinder?

Do they GeoD?

Welcome Gary, glad you made it!

GeoD
03-09-2010, 07:31 PM
I stopped drinking coffee again this week. ;)

It looks like there might be enough parts available to do a decent rebuild of the rear M.C. I suggest going to BikeBandit.com. They have the discontinued items greyed out.

The cornfusion came because the front master cylinder is built right into the reservoir (also, look at what the pic is pointing to):

dom
03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
I drink two cups before I even shower in the morning!

Had to think for a second myself, and now that I did I can remember the rear has the separate deal.

gary.h
03-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Just a follow up, The rear MASTER CYLINDER from a 300ex will not bolt on a 85 x, but the inside (piston & o rings & Spring) will work.

How to rebuild a 85 350x Rear master cylinder?

Trick.... Get a re-build kit for a 2003 300EX,

another trick, if you are having trouble bleeding brakes, put some thread tape on the bleeder screw,

Gary,

dom
03-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the information Gary!

gary.h
03-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Just for Note

A front master cylinder rebuild kit(85x), will not work for the Rear. Piston size different.

GeoD
03-16-2010, 07:03 PM
How did you make out with the rear brakes Gary?

gary.h
03-16-2010, 11:10 PM
How did you make out with the rear brakes Gary?

Good got the insides from a 300ex fit perfect, got a brand new calliper blead them out works better than ever, took me a couple extra $, cause i bought a used 300ex master cylinder hoping to bolt on (it don't) so i just used the inside..... found out to the front rebuild (master cylinder) will not work for the rear.

Canadian350X
03-18-2010, 08:01 PM
I bought a rear master cyl rebuild kit off ebay just this summer. It was cheap too IIRC, around $19...