PDA

View Full Version : please help! 83 atc 185s running rough,starved for fuel??

khud
04-09-2010, 12:18 PM
i bought a 83 honda atc 185s for "lunch money" yesterday! but its spitting and sputtering when you get on it like its starved for fuel?

these have a fuel filter or the petcock off the reserve and mounts in bottom of tank w/screen is all they have? if so and its bad can i just take out and run an in line filter in line before the fuel/reserve switch?

or do i maybe have a carb prob...and are they easy to tear down,reassemble and adjust?

honda dealer says the carbs are very touchy w/ the screw adj's! said have to get set back perfect to factory specs?

btw- the guy i bought it from said he put on a new carb? maybe wrong one or out of adj. all together?

any advice? thx!

dom
04-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I will give you the same advice I give everyone who gets a "new to them vehicle."

First of all make sure your tank is clean (clean/fresh fuel), change your oil, check your plug and wires, check your air filter, and yes replacing the fuel filter is an excellent idea.

Also, make sure the fuel line is not obstructed, bent etc..

I would start with that and go from there.

Must be nice to get a trike for lunch month!

The crap I buy nowadays is purchased with mortgage money!

P.S. Welcome to the site!

khud
04-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I will give you the same advice I give everyone who gets a "new to them vehicle."

First of all make sure your tank is clean (clean/fresh fuel), change your oil, check your plug and wires, check your air filter, and yes replacing the fuel filter is an excellent idea.

Also, make sure the fuel line is not obstructed, bent etc..

I would start with that and go from there.

Must be nice to get a trike for lunch month!

The crap I buy nowadays is purchased with mortgage money!

P.S. Welcome to the site!

yeah oil is black...i got 2 qts of valvoline 10w40 4 stroke motorcycle oil, will this work well for my 185s?

i got new plug.

the wire is wrapped in elec. tape, but does the job i guess lol.

air filter is a metal screen looking type...buddy says its missing the foam and def nds replacing?

*DOES MY MODEL HAVE A "FUEL FILTER" OR JUST THAT PETCOCK THING? IF BAD CAN I REMOVE AND JUST PUT IN AN IN LINE FILTER TO DO THE JOB??

btw-none of the above parts have been installed yet. doing the plug,oil and checking the petcock tghing today.

*OH YEAH AND LIKE I SAID I GOT IT FOR LUNCH MONEY $...$160!!

i thought that was an ok deal...least it runs and drives!

Gasman
04-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Howdy khud!!!, I`m think`n your right about the petcock screen being the only "Filter". I`m gonna say it would be a good idea to put like a lawnmower(little B & S) filter in between your on/off & the carb. 2-3 bucks at like a Ace HW or some simular type store. I`m gonna agree w/dom about the gas, infact, I`d dump it & start w/fresh! Welcome to the forum(s) & I gonna say ya got a perty darn good deal there!
Only thing, I hope ya don`t starve this month....lol....ah, its just 1 meal...LOL.

Gas

khud
04-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Howdy khud!!!, I`m think`n your right about the petcock screen being the only "Filter". I`m gonna say it would be a good idea to put like a lawnmower(little B & S) filter in between your on/off & the carb. 2-3 bucks at like a Ace HW or some simular type store. I`m gonna agree w/dom about the gas, infact, I`d dump it & start w/fresh! Welcome to the forum(s) & I gonna say ya got a perty darn good deal there!
Only thing, I hope ya don`t starve this month....lol....ah, its just 1 meal...LOL.

Gas

thx gas! well honda advised against removing the petcock and only running an in line filter...not sure if i have to have it or not. they said filter only wouldn't catch enough trash??

but i guess either way i'm putting in the in line as well.

thx for all the welcomes! looks like a pretty friendly and helpful site!

oh yeah, but looks like hot dogs and ramen the rest of this month! lol ;)

dom
04-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I say replace the stock one and call it a day.

Just try not to mess up any threads if they are all rusted up.

I eat crackers myself!

eglide67
04-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Most definitely either relace the stock petcock screen or clean it. If it'n not going to get enough fuel from the petcock, it doesn't matter what kind of filter you have downstream.

Gasman II(the shop)
04-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Hey khud!!!
I wanna appoligize for my BAD advice on putting another filter in-line!!!!!!! Prolly would be EXtra fuel restriction, I WASN`T trying to lead you wrong!!!!!!! I HOPE ya got`er going w/a screen cleaning OR new one!
Sorry for MY bad info again, I think I`ll keep my "shade-tree" info to myself EXCEPT for the 50/50 atf/at mix for rust.....infact, I may put in my bio......the atf/at Nazi.....LMAO.......No offence meant here too Geod!!!.....

GeoD
04-18-2010, 12:09 PM
None taken Gasman. As you can see my status has changed to former case saver nazi. My sig has changed too.

A fuel filter down stream after the petcock isn't a bad idea. Especially if your tank is rusting. But first you gotta get the fuel flowing before putting a filter on it. You can get a petcock on eBay for $19. I say replace it and see how it flows. If its good to go you can decide on the filter or not.

mudpuppy
04-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Easy to check - pull the fuel line off the carb and see if you have flow . My line of work is large motors , but alot of the principals apply . Keep it simple and start with the obvious . Yes , start with fresh go juice but the "new carb" is a red flag for me - I'd start there (it it were mine) - Welcome to the site!

william.farmer
04-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Once you know you have good gas, the flow to the carb is good, and the air cleaner isn't clogged up blocking air flow, and it is still acting the way you described, I would check the carb for a vacuum leak or varnish build up. Varnish build up happens all too often when gas is left in the bike for more than a few months without "stabil".

For the vacuum leak - let the bike run and spray carb cleaner around the carb mounting area and listen for the engine to change RPM. This may indicate a leak from the head to the intake or from the intake to the carb. This would cause the bike to run lean and could cause your symptoms.

For the varnish / junk -

-Note- I haven't looked at your model carb, but they are all very similar.

Pull the carb off, flip it over and remove the float bowl. Once the bowl is removed, you should see the "main jet" (large) sticking up in the center and the "idle" jet just forward of it(smaller). They are removable with a standard screw driver. Take them out one at a time and check for any obstructions (varnish / junk). If either is clogged, you can try to blow air through them or try carb cleaner. Warming them up in a metal cup with some cleaner in it can help break up the varnish. Pay attention to the flash point on the cleaner as you don't want to start fires (not fun).

Avoid sticking anything metal through the jets if possible as it may scratch the jet and change the flow characteristics. HOWEVER, I admit that I have had to do that when all else fails. I used .023 mig welding wire to clean a jet that just wouldn't cooperate.

Hope this helps.

William