View Full Version : fork seals

thugmilitia
04-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Hello, can anyone help with advice or tips on replacing the fork seals
on my 200X. thanx THUG

GeoD
04-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Welcome to the forum!!

The 200X service manual that's available on the forum should help you out. I followed the 350X manual to replace the seals on my X.

gary.h
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Welcome to the forum!!

The 200X service manual that's available on the forum should help you out. I followed the 350X manual to replace the seals on my X.

How hard was that? And how do you know if they are bad??

GeoD
04-23-2010, 12:02 PM
It wasn't terribly hard. From what I remember (I did the job 3yrs ago) the hardest part was figuring out where all the little washers and other little parts go. The manual does a good job showing where they go.

How did I know they were bad? When I filled the shocks up with ATF and went riding the bottom of my shock had dirty wet marks all over them just under the shock boots. Afterwards the frontend would bottom out over little bumps.

Diagnosis...leaky seals (time to change).

I have to do the job again with the new shocks I bought. I got a set of brand new NOS shocks a couple of years ago. I put them on my bike and last year I noticed the oil leaking out the bottom of the shock boot. I guess 25yr old OEM seals don't hold up as well as they use to!! ;)

thugmilitia
04-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanx for the info, and thanx for the welcome!!!. I'm trying to get this trike ready to ride and go to the track. I have had to build a set of nerf bars and install them in order to ride on the tracks around here. the jumps are long so I want to replace the fork seals for a smoother landing.

ttyR2
07-18-2010, 03:27 AM
If you're not seeing fluid leakage out of the forks, changing the seals won't help at all. They have no effect on how smooth the ride is.

Check the service manual for the recommended fork oil and levels. Once that's in order, go ride it and see if you have leaks.