PDA

View Full Version : swingarm bearings

garycs
08-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I cant get the bearing shells out of the swingarm on my 84 200x.Need some help.I have the new kit but have tryed all kinds of ways to get them out with no luck.

GeoD
08-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Are you referring to these:

http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=80&uid=629044897

If so, you must destroy them to get them out. I had trouble with mine and I dropped it off to the Honda shop. When I picked it up I asked them if they had a special tool to get them out. They said they crushed them and pulled them out with needle nose pliers. I thought to myself "I could have done that!!".

garycs
08-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Are you referring to these:

http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=80&uid=629044897

If so, you must destroy them to get them out. I had trouble with mine and I dropped it off to the Honda shop. When I picked it up I asked them if they had a special tool to get them out. They said they crushed them and pulled them out with needle nose pliers. I thought to myself "I could have done that!!".
That is what I have tryed to do but I cant seem to get under them,they are ss and hard as hell.

GeoD
08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Take a flathead screwdriver and dislodge the bearings. It would be best if you can remove most if not all the bearings before trying to get the screwdriver under where the bearings were. The cage should crush in pretty easy once the bearings are out. Get your needle nose in there and work it over until they come out.

garycs
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Take a flathead screwdriver and dislodge the bearings. It would be best if you can remove most if not all the bearings before trying to get the screwdriver under where the bearings were. The cage should crush in pretty easy once the bearings are out. Get your needle nose in there and work it over until they come out.
Thanks GeoD,Iam going to try it in the morning when it cools off.It is 108* out there and the cowboys are fixing to play.

dom
08-12-2010, 08:13 PM
No doubt, it's been a hot one out here lately too!

Everything I do outside I have a towel around my neck to wipe the sweat!

What I really need is some windshield wipers on my freaking glasses.

fire1
08-12-2010, 10:56 PM
i use a die grinder to grind the inside of the bearing shell almost through,then drive a screw driver behind the area i have ground .it will collaspe in and then you can easily knock it out.i just did a 350x swingarm and it took less than 10 minutes to grind and knock both out.

garycs
08-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the ideas,Im going out there this morning and give them a try.Hope to have an hour or 2 before the heat blast starts.We have a cold front coming through this weekend,Its only going to 97 to 99 next week.

GeoD
08-13-2010, 10:01 AM
63 degrees in NE PA right now.

Let us know how you make out with the bearings. Give them hell!!! :happy0144:

garycs
08-13-2010, 12:20 PM
63 degrees in NE PA right now.

Let us know how you make out with the bearings. Give them hell!!! :happy0144:
Well I sweated my ass off for 2 hours and got no where.Iam going to take it to the honda shop.My S/W 286 Western 357 magnum may be what I need to get them out.

garycs
08-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Went out there today and under the tree in my backyard it was 115*.Got the first shell out after about 30 min.Then fliped it over and punched the other out with an old socket and a hammer.Put the new kit in it and shes good to go.