PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Cable Removal?

oksnake
06-26-2009, 10:32 AM
How is the throttle cable on a 200x disconnected from the carburetor/throttle valve? I've looked in the shop manual but don't find specific instructions. It does mention disconnecting it after detaching the carburetor. Does the carburetor have to be detached before disconnecting the throttle cable?

I realize this is a very basic question, but thanks in advance for the help.

dom
06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey Oksnake, there should be small nipple on the end of the cable that inserts into the carburetor. Kind of like the way the hand brake levers on a bicycle work, the cable slides through a slit and the nipple locks into place. There is a round thingy on top that you loosen and then gain access to be able to remove the cable. Take your time!

http://honda350x.com/gallery/data/524/medium/honda_200x_carb.bmp (http://honda350x.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/766)

Have to run to Physical Therapist. Better description when I get back.

oksnake
06-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the response and advice, Dom. I did realize that I needed to unscrew the top to get access to the cable end, but what I didn't realize was that the throttle valve was supposed to slide out( I obviously no very little about the mechanics of atv's).

This machine has been sitting in my garage for over ten years. Since the throttle valve is "frozen" I guess my next option would be to cut the throttle cable, remove the carburetor, and soak the carburetor in some type of carb cleaner.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

oksnake
06-30-2009, 05:43 PM
oops...."no" should be "know"

dom
06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Remove the throttle cable from the lever end upstairs. Then put the whole darn thing in some cleaner with only the necessary part of the cable in the juice with the carb. No reason to cut the cable if it can be avoided!

mudpuppy
06-30-2009, 11:58 PM
dom's right , thes things can nickle and dime you to death - save the money where and whenever you can . Something as insignificant as a throttle cable is what , 30 bucks ( pulled that outta my azz ) i can get my entire exhaust ceramic coated and polished for less than 60 - you can see where i'm going with this , save your money for the cool stuff or the parts you REALLY need . Don't destroy something unless it's already destroyed. Get that puppy running first , then replace the parts that bug you..............unless you're restoring it , then just tell me to shut up HA !

SCUBA
07-01-2009, 12:08 AM
If you cant pull the slider up it may not be possible to remove the cable from the lever ... try spraying it with carb cleaner in the hopes that it will soak into it and free it up with little effort

oksnake
07-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks everyone!

I sprayed it with carburetor cleaner last night and was able to remove it this morning. Cable was not "frozen" as I originally thought, so it's okay -- one less thing to replace.

dom
07-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Cool. If I could go back and take care in removal of the parts of all the things I've tinkered on in my life I would have probably saved enough to buy a house!