Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Anti fade on rear axle

Thread: Anti fade on rear axle

Default Anti fade on rear axle

What problems will I run into if my anti fade bolt on the rear axle is stripped out? How do I replace it? Is it hard? Thanks for the help.

Anti fade bolt? Are you referring to the nut? Or the threads the nut screws on to?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoD View Post
    Anti fade bolt? Are you referring to the nut? Or the threads the nut screws on to?
    The threads that the anti fade bolt screw on to are stripped. Will this cause me any problems and is it hard to replace it? Thanks

If the collar threads are stripped I would run a tap & die over it (if they make them that big) or replace it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-Honda-ATC...a4f994&vxp=mtr

I rebuilt my rear in 2007 and it wasn't the easiest job but with the help of the service manual and the correct parts I was able to get the job done. One thing I found out is the anti fade nut is a bitch to keep tight after you break it's cherry. I put a glob of Loctite and it still broke loose. Below is a link to a pic of my rear as I was putting it together. I ended up putting two axle nuts on the collar and tightening them against each other then putting the anti fade nut on the end. Then I drew a line across the three nuts so I could see if they moved. Unfortunately, they did move a couple of times. I ended up putting more Loctite on the threads and retightening the axle nuts and letting it sit over the winter. It hasn't moved since. I don't have a pic of axle nut setup after I was finished.

http://p1.bikepics.com/2007/06/13/bi...31042-full.jpg

Another option is to get one of those DuraBlue posi-lock nuts. They are a bit salty in price but it's a once and done job.
    Last edited by GeoD; 08-06-2013 at 09:59 PM.

What will happen if it comes loose? Will it mess up the rear bearing? Thanks

Ha...good question. That was the reason I had to rebuild my rear. If it comes loose (like really loose) the rear comes apart and that ain't good. When it happened to me I was approx. 10 miles away from the parking area riding in coal soot. After a few side kicking turns the rear worked its way loose and I heard a noise. I checked it out and it was apart and a crap load of coal soot was in the rear. I had to put it back together by hand because I didn't have any field tools and ride back to the truck. When I took it all apart the OEM bearing carrier was snapped in two and the bearings were ground down to nothing. I think I found maybe two or three bb size bearings left.
    Last edited by GeoD; 08-07-2013 at 08:33 PM.