Thread: My clutch mistake.

Default My clutch mistake.

I was replacing the clutch on an 85 and I broke the clutch pressure plate. I don't have a puller and thought I could get the nut off with out one. I was wrong. I have the service Manuel are there any trick you can give me to remove the nut. Or do you know a tool that will work.
    Thanks
    Only one way to learn

Did you break the four posts that extend out from the pressure plate? (been there, done that!)

The easy way to disassemble is to use an impact wrench. Then you don't have to make a clutch holding tool. I don't recommend this for reassembly though, since you really should torque the nut to the proper spec value.

The quick way is to put it in gear and hold the drive sprocket. Or you can make a clutch holder similar to what is in the service manual using a wide putty knife (you'll have to drill holes through the putty knife and use it like the tool in the service manual).
    1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1985 250SX
    1986 250SX
    1986 TRX125

Thank you. Gonna try it tonight
    Only one way to learn

Default More advice about doing a clutch job

I wanted to add some additional advice about doing your clutch job.

First, once you have the clutch all disassembled, it is an important step to inspect the clutch basket for grooves. The clutch basket gets notches from the repeated pounding from the tabs on the fiber clutch discs. If you leave the clutch basket grooves (and depending on how deep they are) your clutch feel won't be as nice or worst case, will not give a clean disengagement. You should also check the center hub (the part that the steel plates engage onto) and check it for grooves too.

To get rid of the notches, I just use a flat file. You want to file the fingers flat and smooth. Be careful not to change the angles, or to go too far. Only file enough to eliminate the high spots (and make the surface flat again).

The other thing that is more obvious is to soak your fiber plates in motor oil (the same stuff you are running in the machine) for a while prior to installation. I put them in a Ziploc bag, dump in enough oil to cover them, and push the air out and zip up the bag.

I guess those are my only two tips. Be sure to post up any questions that you have along the way.
    1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1985 250SX
    1986 250SX
    1986 TRX125