Thread: Frame crack

Default Frame crack

I bought an 1985 350x and I knew about the crack by the motor mount. It at the time was just a hair line crack but now it is all the way through the pipe. I only have one ride left till winter so would it be okay to leave it for a day and ride it. Is the anything I can do without welding it to help it hold?

well, that's unfortunate. You've been riding it so far, it will probably be ok if you take it easy.

Make sure the engine mount bolts are tight.

Disclaimer: Ride at your own risk, this is not an endorsement to ride with/on broken frames.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty" B. Franklin

I bought a '85 that had the crack all the way through and the guy that I got it from had ridden it like that and it puts stress on the engine cases themselves and started splitting one of the frame mounts and I'm sure If it got ridden longer the cases probably would have started cracking... also when I went to weld it back together I ended up having to use a cherry picker and tie downs to pull the frame back together because everything had bent apart and I had to get it lined back up.

I rode it but I kept it slow, I stopped and pushed on the tank and saw it separating just from that, I am gonna get that fixed for sure.

Good idea
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty" B. Franklin