Thread: 85 250es Big Red dies after 10 mins. out of ideas

Default 85 250es Big Red dies after 10 mins. out of ideas

I recently bought A 85 250 ES. Had been sitting 2yrs. Put gas in. Run perfect for about 10 mins. Then dies and has no spark. After fee hrs will start again.
    I've check the basics.
    Plugs,new coil wire and cap,cdi,wiring connections.. I even visually inspected stator and pulse generator and their connections. All look fine.
    Any extra ideas would be great. Do you think the pulse generator would do this?

I do not know about electrics except to change broken stuff but either somethings getting hot and giving up till it cools or something is restricting fuel flow. Petcock, inline filter etc.
    How did you check the spark?
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AMK View Post
    I do not know about electrics except to change broken stuff but either somethings getting hot and giving up till it cools or something is restricting fuel flow. Petcock, inline filter etc.
    How did you check the spark?
    Well I put the plug in the plug in the cap and toucjed to the engine while cramking. The usual way. And gas in the plug hole. Definitely not getting a spark.

I've been reading a lot about the 250es on other forums and the general consensus is to test all of the units with a multimeter. The only one you can't test is the cdi. The repair manual has the ohm readings listed for each. And yes it can be the pulse generator.
    Some simpler fixes were to trim about 1/4" from the end of the spark plug wire. The boot screws off.
    Another common problem was the kill switch needing cleaned out.
    If you Google "250es no spark" quite a bit of info shows up. I didn't get any results on this site's search function.
    Alan